Tuesday, August 26, 2008

College Life Begins

My amazing sister Sarah suggested I start a blog so all of you can keep up with me now that I'm so far away. Thanks for the advice, Sarah! It was a great idea. Anyways.... here we go on this week's news. . .

Classes started on Monday. Today is Tuesday. So far it seems like I'm going to be alright in all my classes, but one can never be certain until the ball really starts rolling. My hardest classes are probably going to be my math and nutrition classes. I'm taking a civics class which is really about culture and I'm so excited.

My roommates are the sweetest girls I've ever met and our back door opens to the apartment of the boys next door, who are also really nice. Whenever we're home we open our back doors and just go in and out of each other's apartments having fun.

I've been trying to decide what to minor in, and I'm thinking I'm going to do anthropology since that's really my passion and interest, but I can't really do anything with it career wise. Feel free to give me your input on that.

I did laundry for the first time yesterday-- cost me 3.50 for two loads. Great. But it's not as bad as regular laundromats, I suppose.

I started institute and LOVE IT! I'm taking Early Church History and my teacher goes to all the history sites a couple times a year on tours with students. He seems to have a lot of knowledge.

Nothing else is really going on. I'm staying on top of my homework (yes I've had some already) and keep my room clean and our kitchen is always just about spotless.

Oh. At church last Sunday I kind of zoned out (oops) because the bishopric was just introducing themselves to the new people and I'd already heard all of it from the previous Sunday. Anyways, I began thinking about food because I hadn't eaten much that morning and realized I'm going to starve in two months if I don't get a job. I've been giving out applications but no one's responded to me yet. I started to panic a little bit, but today I'm going to hand in another application for a writing job, which I'm really excited for. If no other job works out, my ULTIMATE last resort is to be a "draped" model for an art class. They pay really well, but still.... definitely last resort.

That's all I really have to say-- I have one more class today so I have to get going. I just wanted to shout out a huge "THANK YOU!!" to everyone who helped me prepare for college either by giving me advice, money, or dishes. Everything is being put to great use. Every college student should have their own laptop and printer-- it saves lives.

I have to go. I love you all so much!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Great Blog!
Hey, what is your Major?

Jessica said...

I'm glad you're having fun. Its cool that you guys get along so well with the guys next to you. You should check out my blog when you have the chance! Anyway, hope to hear from you soon. Luv ya and miss ya!

megan ann. said...

Ahhhh! you have a blog! so do i!! You should check it out!

Cami said...

Hi Alaura! It's great to hear what you are up to! Keep up the blog! Let me know when/if you are coming home for a weekend! Thanks for inviting me to read! Cami

Sarah Gibby said...

You have such a smart sister! =)
Love ya!